Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A New Look at Generation Y

I read an interesting article in PCMA's Convene Magazine that really got me thinking. It was about Generation Y, or Millennials. The article was not only written by a twenty-something member of Gen Y, but he actually talked TO Millennials, instead of just talking ABOUT them.

I often work with young people from Generation Y, and in many ways, I can relate. I'm on the younger end of Generation X, and because I work with social media, and online technology, I feel connected to the 20-somethings.

That said, if a reference to Styx, leg warmers, or Outback Red should accidentally slip-- I'm completely out of touch. (I'm from one of the many generations that actually went to college without the internet, and grew up without cell phones!)

Anyhow-- the article debunked many of the myths I've not only heard, but I've come to believe about Generation Y. You can read the whole article at http://www.pcma.org/Convene.

It lays out several of the negative myths, along with a new way to look at things. Here are my thoughts based on the article, and the new outlook I'm determined to have.

1. Millennials believe they are "entitled". We've all heard it. This younger generation doesn't appreciate experience, they just think they can graduate, get a job, and become an expert. What I learned is that there's a flip side to this. They do not view themselves as "entitled", as much as they see themselves "motivated". These kids WANT to graduate from college, get a great job, and become a manager quickly. They are inspired to move up, and rarely settle.

2. Millennials all have ADD. You know the type. A twenty-something with an ipod bud in each ear, logged on to the internet, and updating Facebook all at the same time. Many of us would say they just can't concentrate. Many of THEM would say they've mastered the art of multi-tasking. And they're probably right. They've learned how to do many things at once, and are comfortable with constant stimulation.

3. Millennials don't commit. They are constantly on the move, and aren't willing to put in the years needed to become an expert in one particular area. The positive spin on that view is that Millennials are comfortable with change. They are constantly updating software, are not afraid of new technology, and handle new positions with ease.

This isn't just spin... it's a new way to look at the whole generation. I am going to focus on the positive, and work to engage more members of Generation Y in the coming months. I hope they do the same for those of us who grew up with Holly Hobby, Shrinky Dinks and listening to the The Outfield!

2 comments:

  1. Appreciate the positive point of view. I, myself, am on the older end of the Gen Y spectrum, but really feel that we are just a group of motivated individuals. We're looking to succeed quickly and I don't think that's a bad thing :) Enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... I appreciate the comment and couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete