Monday, May 3, 2010

Marketing 101

Call it "Marketing 101".

I received a call from a local university asking our company to buy ad space in their football program. We already do work for this university, and it's a smart move for them to call us. But when the woman on the other end of the phone didn't know my name, or anything about my company, I was terribly frustrated.

In this day and age, if you can't spend three minutes looking at my website, I can't find a good reason to write you a check. We are very easy to find. I'm on Twitter, my company is on Twitter, we're on Facebook, we're on Linked In, we have a website, it's really not hard to find out one or two sentences about what we do. Not to mention that our company has done work for the university in the past! We're probably in her database.

When you're calling a potential client, aren't they worth the few minutes it takes to look them up online and find out something about them? In the meetings industry, we need to know when and where the client's next meeting is.

If you follow the potential client on Twitter, you may be able to find out what that client is doing at the moment you're about the pick up the phone. Don't "go in blind". Find out about the client, know what they're doing, and let them know you cared enough to do your research. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment