Thursday, May 6, 2010

Small Details... Big Difference!

My husband and I recently took our kids to a hotel in Orlando for a "stay-cation" close to home. When we walked into the lobby, there were homemade chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven! The smell was fantastic, and my kids faces' lit up like you wouldn't believe. Our short vacation started off with smiles, and I was immediately in a good mood. It's amazing what a big difference something as small as chocolate chips can make! From the hotel's point of the view, their return on investment was huge. We were satisfied customers for the cost of a cookie.

We had a similar experience going to visit some friends in a new neighborhood.
When the security guy asked me for my ID, he had lollipops for the kids. For the record, I'm not a fan of gated communities or showing my ID to visit my pals. However, I was so distracted by the lollipops, and my kids were so happy, it didn't bother me at all. That security guard turned a frustrating moment into a positive one, and now, my kids can't wait to go back!

I believe businesses of all sizes can apply this same lesson. Maybe it's not actually cookies or lollipops, but instead a small gesture to make clients feel important. Sometimes a hand-written note in the mail, or a cheerful voice on the phone can make all the difference. Even a friendly retweet on Twitter can put a potential client in a good mood, which can help build relationships. Do you have a picture of you with a client? Send it to them. Did you receive positive feedback about their event? Let them know. Can you recommend them to a friend? Go for it. It's the small extra steps that make all the difference.

What are you doing to make your clients happy, and keep the relationship positive?? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. I am letting my clients take a full 90 days to pay. Not because I want to :(. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually a great idea in this economy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who always calls the day after they come to dinner just to say they had fun and enjoyed the evening. It's amazing how much a one minute phone message or a quick call to say thanks means to a friend or a client.

    ReplyDelete