Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Lessons From Bop

My grandfather was an incredible man. His name was Bob Hayes, but we all called him “Bop”. He was a business owner, worked undercover on the Manhatten Project, and was married to the same woman for 62 years. He died last week just the way he lived… peacefully, mentally sharp as a tack, and without being an imposition on anyone. He was 96 years old. Time and time again, we heard the same words used to describe him: Kind, Honest, Stable, Respectful and Faithful.

It occurred to me that the lessons I have learned from him over the years not only apply to family and friends, but to business too.

Be Kind. Bob Hayes was a soft-spoken, caring man. He was gentle, and rarely raised his voice. It seems we should all work a little harder to be that way in business. There is no need for yelling, rudeness, or cut-throat attitudes. The more we help others, the more help will come back to us in return. We’re all in this together, aren’t we?

Be Honest. If you told my grandfather a secret, he took it to his grave. He was trustworthy. He believed in the “gentlemen’s handshake”, and if he said he was going to do something—you could consider it done. I believe that colleagues and customers deserve the same honesty. If a company makes a commitment… the goal should be to overdeliver, not look for ways to cut corners. Being honest in business means being transparent, and being up front about prices, deliverables, and deadlines.

Be Stable. My grandfather’s emotional range wasn’t exactly huge… he never got really excited, and never got really depressed. He was stable. You always knew what you were going to get. Perhaps stability is more important now than ever. Do you customers always get the same service? Does your service always meet the same standard? Companies need to be stable, especially during these uncertain economic times.

Be Respectful. There were a lot of people who disagreed with Bob Hayes, but many of them were his friends for more than five decades. If he had a contrarian point of view, he wasn’t afraid to share it… but he always respected the other person’s opinion. He never tried to convince someone they were wrong, or raised his voice to prove his point. He just respectfully agreed to disagree. Wouldn’t it be a better world if that were the case more often than not?

Be Faithful. In my grandfather’s world, having faith meant having faith in God. He believed in the Lord, and read the Bible often. His faith meant the world to him. But in addition to that, people had faith in him. He sold Penn Real parts for decades, and his customers rarely went anywhere else. They knew he was dependable, and they knew they were getting a fair deal. He was faithful to his wife, to his friends, to his colleagues, and to his customers.

The lessons I learned from Bop were important when I was young, and they are important now. I hope his qualities live on through those of us knew him, and those of you who know us.

7 comments:

  1. I thought I posted yesterday, but guess not. I think this is a wanderful tribute to Bop. We should all aim to be a little more like him. His qualities are very admirable. Good job Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great inspirational messages! My Dad was very much the same but I didn't have him in my life long enough, he passed away very young. But I still learned the same qualities from him. These qualities help me be successful in my work and family life. Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carrie, saw the link from your dad's weekly email. Reminded me of quickly trying to write some lessons I learned from dad following his death. I know many of "Bops" (never heard that one) qualities carry on in you and your family. know you are al in my prayers. Peace, Jack Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can not tell you how much this rings true to me. Even Conan in his send off uttered the phrase "Work Hard & Be Kind" Which now occupies the background of my phone. these are words & actions to live by & for those that don't get it, it's just a shame.
    -well said

    -P.Murphy
    www.OrlandoLiveStreaming.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it so well, and so captured who he was. One thing you didn't say, but that I know for certain, he couldn't be more proud of you, Deb and the jobs you do, the families you love and the way you live your personal and professional lives. Aunt J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the responses... I really appreciate them. Jack-- you dad taught a lot of people the same lessons, I truly miss him, and know the void will never be filled. Paul-- it's amazing sometimes what we learn from people, even if we don't know them very long. Peter-- who knew that my grandfather and Conan had something in common! Thanks again to all of you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Carrie, for a beautiful business tribute to Dad who was too modest to let anyone know what a successful businessman he was. He taught us the qualities that make us who we are and I know that he is smiling knowing that he succeeded at that, too.
    Aunt Bonnie

    ReplyDelete