Sunday, March 14, 2010

Let Go of Control


My husband took me to see Blue Man Group at Universal Studios this weekend. Have you seen it? The best word I can come up with describe the show is: bizarre. I'm really glad we went, and it's like nothing I'd ever seen before.

Something struck me before the show began, however.
There were messages running across a digital sign at the front of the stage that continually reminded the audience not to take pictures. "Repeat after me", the sign said, "I will not take video, I will not take pictures, I will not upload to Facebook". At first I thought it was a joke. Then I realized they were delivering a serious message in a clever way. They truly do not allow any photography during Blue Man Group performances.

At that point, I couldn't get David Meerman Scott out of my mind. See, Meerman-Scott is an online marketing expert, and the author of the best-selling book, "The New Rules of Marketing and PR". He says one of the most important things you can do to market your products and services is to "let go of control".

He uses the Grateful Dead as an example. When the Dead allowed their fans to tape concerts, their popularity soared. More people gained an interest, and more people paid to see the group in concert. Instead of protecting their music... they shared it and it worked. Meerman Scott also points to Radiohead. When the band decided not to have a record label, and instead put everything online, and just ask people to donate what they thought the songs were worth: they made millions. These groups understood the concept of letting go of control.

We can all learn from these lessons. Some organizations are afraid to create Facebook pages or Twitter accounts because "someone might write something negative". Well, sure they might! But isn't is better for organization leaders to hear the negative input, respond, and solve the problem?? Living in the dark isn't going to get us anywhere.

Some organizations are also afraid to give away "company secrets" online. Heaven forbid we tell people how we do our jobs, and offer free advice. What if someone takes our ideas?? Frankly... good for them. In this age of social networking, sharing information is a must. The people who openly offer advice, tips, and inside knowledge are the ones who will succeed.

While I admit the "Blue Men" aren't having a hard time selling tickets... it seems like they could do a better job of letting go of control. I, for one, would have posted the video on this blog, on my Facebook page, and tweeted about it. If each person in the audience did that-- it's the best free advertising a company can buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment